Thursday, December 27, 2007

Great Christmas gift

My awesome Gavin and Esther gave me the new (to me) Passion CD for Christmas, "Everything Glorious."

My two favorite cuts:

One, "Party." This song expresses exactly how we can feel. Hey, we're not going to hell anymore! This life is all the hell we will ever know. A few short years from now and we will never sin again, never suffer again. "We're gonna PARTY."

Jesus said, "I go to prepare a place for you" (John 14:2). He did not say, "I go to prepare a place." He said, " . . . for you." The instant you step into heaven, you're not going to look around and say, "Well, I can adjust to this. It's all right. Really." You're going to look around and say, "For cryin' out loud, he thought of ME. He understood MY crazy heart. I'm gonna LOVE this." And you will go into warp-speed.

So now I'm driving around Nashville blasting the speakers out of my four-wheel-drive dead-deer-totin' Tennessee pick-up playing and re-playing "Party," getting ready for heaven. Anybody want to come along?

Two, "I stand amazed (how marvelous)." I used to sing this hymn in church as a boy. It made little impact. Two things have happened since to change that. One, I have discovered more about my sin and more about my Savior. Two, God created the electric guitar.

Here is verse two:

He took my sins and my sorrows
he made them his very own
he bore the burden to Calvary
and suffered and died alone

How marvelous, how wonderful!
And my song shall ever be
How marvelous, how wonderful
is my Savior's love for me!