Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Another conversion story

"God was pleased to remove the heavy load, to enable me to lay hold of his dear Son by a living faith, and by giving me the Spirit of adoption, to seal me even to the day of everlasting redemption. Oh, with what joy -- joy unspeakable -- even joy that was full of and big with glory, was my soul filled, when the weight of sin went off, and an abiding sense of the pardoning love of God and a full assurance of faith broke in upon my disconsolate soul! Surely it was the day of mine espousals -- a day to be had in everlasting remembrance! At first my joys were like a spring tide, and overflowed its banks."

"I know the place! It may be superstitious, perhaps, but whenever I go to Oxford I cannot help running to that place where Jesus Christ first revealed himself to me and gave me the new birth."

George Whitefield, quoted in Arnold A. Dallimore, George Whitefield, I:77.