Monday, January 7, 2008

Brotherhood

"Dr. Malcolm C. Grow, the Eighth Air Force's chief surgeon, told air intelligence investigators, '[These men] are not interested in democracy or freedom; they are interested in their buddies or their team. The teams are the closest knit things that you have ever seen.' As Fortress gunner Jack Novey recalled: 'I can't explain why we bomber crews, without any gung ho attitude at all, would put our lives on the line mission after mission against the terrible odds of those days. . . . Even when my fears were about to overwhelm me, even when I was physically sick, I kept flying my missions. I didn't want to let my crewmates down. I would rather have been dead."

Quoted in Donald A. Miller, Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys who Fought the Air War against Nazi Germany, pages 88-89.