Sunday, January 13, 2008

What humility feels like: overwhelming gratitude

"I have often said that the first thing I am going to do when I get to heaven is to ask, 'Why me, Lord? Why did you choose a farmboy from North Carolina to preach to so many people, to have such a wonderful team of associates, and to have a part in what you were doing in the latter half of the twentieth century?'

I have thought about that question a great deal, but I know also that only God knows the answer. 'Now we see but a poor reflection; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known' (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Every day a host of men and women serve Christ far more faithfully than I have done, often in hidden and difficult places, and I cannot help wondering why God entrusted such a highly visible ministry to us and not to them.

One of the joys of heaven, I am convinced, will be discovering the hidden ways that God in his sovereignty acted in our lives on earth to protect us and guide us so as to bring glory to his name, in spite of our frailty.

As I look back over the years, however, I know that my deepest feeling is one of overwhelming gratitude. I cannot take credit for whatever God has chosen to accomplish through us and our ministry; only God deserves the glory, and we can never thank him enough for the great things he has done."

Billy Graham, Just As I Am, page 723.