Friday, March 7, 2008

A dangerous emotion

"But the ruler of the synagogue, indignant because Jesus had healed on the sabbath, said to the people, 'There are six days in which work ought to be done. Come on one of those days and be healed, and not on the Sabbath day.'" Luke 13:14

He was indignant. His moral fervor was aroused. So he took it upon himself to set things right. He did not notice he was opposing a divine healing -- the kind of life-giving for which the Sabbath was created.

In the heart of God, moral fervor is beautiful. In the heart of a sinner, moral fervor is complicated.

Here are some diagnostics that help me when I feel myself slipping into moral fervor: "Even if I'm right in this situation, am I trusting God? Am I trusting him enough to be willing to lose and look stupid, or is this really about me? God might be doing a work of healing here that I'm blind to at the moment. Okay, Lord, what do you want me to do right now, at this moment, that might be counterintuitive and costly but consistent with your life-giving ways?"