Monday, March 10, 2008

We are weak, the truth is strong



I apologize for the advertisement component in this video. But this story makes a point. Bob Dylan is weak. We are weak. But the truth, with all its flinty objectivity, stands outside our weakness. It points us to the One who is mighty to save (Isaiah 63:1). That good news is the bedrock under our feet, however our mood at the moment might be knocking us around. "Whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything" (1 John 3:20). Tethered to him, our weak faith can take a strong stand.

I pray that my witness will not require a "bracing reinterpretation" by someone else in order to survive. O Lord, fill me with such faith that my life statement is authentic, prophetic.

By the way, one of commentators here says that Dylan was "scorned and abused" in his concerts when he came out with "Slow Train Coming" and "Saved." Jani and I saw him in concert in San Francisco at this time. It was the greatest concert we've ever attended. There was no scorn, except for the devil.