Friday, June 27, 2008

Hints, whispers, foretastes


The Seekers were an Australian folk group in the 60s. This clip comes from their final concert in 68. I know how cheesy this appears to nearly everyone but me, but humor me for a moment, okay? The lyrics here are:

"There's a new world somewhere
They call the promised land,
And I'll be there someday
If you will hold my hand.
I still need you there beside me,
No matter what I do,
For I know I'll never find another you.

There is always someone
For each of us they say,
And you'll be my someone
Forever and a day.
I could search the whole world over
Until my life is through,
But I know I'll never find another you.

It's a long, long journey,
So stay by my side.
When I walk through the storm,
You'll be my guide, be my guide.

If they gave me a fortune,
My pleasure would be small.
I could lose it all tomorrow
And never mind at all.
But if I should lose your love, dear,
I don't know what I'd do,
For I know I'll never find another you."

Why on earth do people write wildly idealistic lyrics like that, and they sell? It wasn't just the times, the 60s, because poets and dreamers and revolutionaries have been saying outlandishly wonderful things like this throughout the ages. We say things like this because our hearts know there is Something beyond the ordinary, ho-hum whatever we're facing at the moment. There is Something everyone longs for but no one has yet experienced. But we get hints, whispers and foretastes of it, as in romance. Then we extol the hint as the Thing itself, because the mini-experience, fleeting as it is, still outperforms everything else. Significantly, these almost UFO-like sightings of the Something cannot be gotten through money or power or status or any other fraudulent mechanism of control everyone is running after. They just happen to us, like falling in love.

"If they gave me a fortune, my pleasure would be small. I could lose it all tomorrow and never mind at all." That sounds like Philippians 3:7-11.

There is reality in our dreams -- more real than "the real world."