Friday, July 11, 2008

"Should I?"


"Should I not be concerned about that great city?" Jonah 4:11

Jonah was ticked. "That blankety-blank Nineveh has repented, and God has relented. The world would have been better off without these enemies of Israel. But there they are still. Going to make more trouble for us in the future, no doubt. And God has spared them. Dang."

How does God respond to his sulky prophet? He reasons with him. God asks Jonah a question -- about God. "Jonah, you seem so sure of your own feelings. So let me ask your advice about my feelings. Should I not feel pity for Nineveh? Is your anger wiser than my compassion? Is my mercy to sinners an offense, or is it my glory? Tell me, Jonah, what kind of person should I be? Should I be more like you, or maybe, just maybe, should you be more like me?"