Friday, August 22, 2008

Quietness of heart #2

Do not say, “I am only a youth” (Jeremiah 1:7).

Every one of us has some brilliant counter-argument to the call of God. “Lord, I am only a _________.” But what God said to Jeremiah he says to every one of us: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you” (Jeremiah 1:5). You don’t define yourself. God does. And he never has a trivial thought. He's not even capable of it.

God also said, “To all to whom I send you, you shall go, and whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord” (Jeremiah 1:7-8). You have been sent by God on a unique mission in life, he handmade you for it, and he is with you every day to deliver you.

There is no quietness of heart in wishing you could re-locate your existence inside someone else’s life and personality and books and whatever. But God says that the you that you are by creation and redemption – that real you is not fundamentally a problem; that real you is fundamentally a strategy.

Let your God-defined destiny settle your heart in peace, with joy, and a sense of unique responsibility. Being who you are is a privilege from God.