Friday, January 2, 2009

The ninth commandment: entryway into revival

Ed Stetzer helps us all face into the sin of bearing false witness with this post.

God said, "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor" (Exodus 20:16). The most profound explanation of the ninth commandment I've ever seen is the Westminster Larger Catechism, Questions 143-145. If we're in the mood for some sanctification, let's read that brief section of the Catechism and ask ourselves, phrase by phrase, "Have I fulfilled these duties in every relationship I have? If not, what am I going to do about that? Have I committed any of these sins in any relationship I have? If so, what am I going to do about that?"

If we cherish God's lovely ninth commandment, actively promoting it, it will be so joyous, so restoring, other dominoes will start falling in a wonderful way. It might feel like revival.