Sunday, May 10, 2009

My mom


On this Mother's Day, I honor my mom. She stands out, to me, in these three foremost ways:

1. I have never ever, not even once, wondered whether Jesus is Lord in my mom's heart. Her loyalty to him always has been wonderfully clear.

2. Her life story could be reconstructed from her Bibles. She reads through the Bible every year, writing in the margins her own prayers and praises. In her home, there is a shelf full of worn-out Bibles amounting to a narrative of her spiritual journey. She is busy wearing out a new one now.

3. She spreads her devotion to Christ to others, both family, friends and neighbors. In my own case, though people have often said I look like my dad, inside I am more like my mom. She has left a profound impression, and I am a better man for it.

Happy Mother's Day, mom. You rock.