Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It wasn't a rhetorical question



When I asked, in a post below, "So, what are you going to do about this?", it wasn't a rhetorical question. It can't be. The message demands a clear response.

I can think of basically three responses.

1. "I will do nothing about this." The good thing about that response is its clarity. Tragic, but clear.

2. "I will give my whole life to pressing the gospel forward in this and the next generation. I here and now surrender my entire life to the Lord Jesus Christ for his purposes only. I will review everything in my life asking, 'Does this help me advance the gospel, or not?' I will bring my entire life under the judgment of gospel-centered priorities. I will pray that God will lead me further in this purpose, whether he wants me to become a church planter, an evangelist, a mother of radical Christians for tomorrow, or a businessman making as much money as I lawfully can so that I can plow it into the cause of Christ. I am SO IN." Another clear response. And filled with glory.

3. "I'll think about it." No, you won't. Thinking about it is the very thing you intend not to do. You deeply intend to do nothing, but staying busy enough that you always have an excuse. Your response is the same as #1, except that you are being dishonest with yourself and with Christ.

So, in trusting submission to the glorious purpose of the Lord Jesus Christ, what are you going to DO about it?