Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Six reasons I am happy on turning 60
1. God has graciously given me thirty-eight years with Jani. The passage of time, with all that life brings, binds us together profoundly. By God’s grace, we will walk hand-in-hand until the end.
2. Our children and grandchildren enrich us immeasurably. If all I ever accomplish is to have raised these godly children, my life will have been well spent.
3. More and more, I have the privilege of affirming and building up younger men with fatherly affection.
4. The Bible is increasingly precious. I cannot possibly articulate how much I don’t care about “issues” not material to the gospel. The central biblical message of Jesus Christ, the mighty Friend of sinners, is all I want to talk about.
5. "As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight." Every Christian reveals divine excellencies. I am thankful for many such friends, especially at Immanuel Church.
6. My most fruitful work lies ahead, not behind, as God gives favor.